Fried rice is one of my favorite foods, so I'm always creating new versions of it. This one is sort-of Thai inspired with a creamy almond butter + sriracha sauce, and a hint of lime. "Why almond butter?" you may ask. Well, the answer is that we were out of peanut butter and I thought it turned out pretty well with almond butter. But I'm sure peanut butter would be delicious too!
2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
3 Tbsp Coconut Oil
1 Large Onion (Diced)
1.5 Cups Frozen Peas
1.5 Cups Frozen Corn
2 Cups Brown Rice
.5 Tbsp Vegetable Boullion
1 Block Tofu, drained and cut into small cubes
1 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
3 Cups Broccoli Florets
1 Bag Trader Joe's Meatless Chicken Tenders
1/2 cup Almond Butter
1/2 cup Sriracha
1/2 cup Soy Sauce/Tamari
1/3 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp Water
Green Onions (Chopped)
Salt + Pepper to taste
1. Cook brown rice in a rice cooker or on the stove with vegetable bullion added to the water. Fluff and allow to cool. Refrigerate for 3-5 hours or overnight.
2. Heat 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil + 1 Tbsp garlic over medium heat in a large frying pan until fragrant. Sauté broccoli until fork tender, 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat. Do not overcook because mushy broccoli is gross. Place in separate medium bowl.
3. Heat 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil + 1 Tbsp garlic over medium heat in that same frying pan. Sauté diced onion until translucent. Remove from heat. Place in separate large bowl.
4. Heat 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil in your frying pan over medium heat. Sauté corn + peas until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Add to bowl with onion.
5. Heat 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil in your frying pan over medium heat. Coat tofu in nutritional yeast, salt + pepper, sauté over medium heat, stirring often, until you start to see it getting brown. This may take up to 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat. Add to bowl with onion, peas, and corn.
6. Whisk together sriracha, almond butter, soy sauce, olive oil, and water.
7. Heat 1 Tbsp coconut oil in your large frying pan over medium heat. Add rice to pan. Drizzle the sauce you just created over the top of it, and coat rice thoroughly. Cook rice for 10-15 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat.
8. Toss rice together with veggies in your large bowl. Cover.
9. Cook meatless chicken strips according to package instructions. Slice into bite size pieces.
10. Serve rice with cooked broccoli and bite size pieces of meatless chicken. Top with chopped green onion and extra sriracha.